So I am pregnant with our first child and I have already been horrible at documenting it. I mean, horrible. Kind of like keeping up with this blog, but I digress...
I have not taken one bump picture or written in any of the journals I bought. I have read one of the books I bought, but then decided that too much information might not be the best idea and to take a semi-blind approach to this whole giving birth thing. I still plan on reading Babywise and the breastfeeding books, but I am going to wait until its a little closer to time. I am also going to do child birth classes in September. I feel like that will be enough.
I have had a pretty good excuse on the maternal slacking and if my child ever asks me where all the loving journal entries are from the first 13 weeks of its existence, I will tell he/she I was too busy throwing up to get to that part.
As I feel better now, I will recap what's been going on.
On April 1, 2013 I found out I was pregnant. I was excited, we had been trying, but I was kind of shocked too. First of all it was APRIL FOOLS DAY! Who actually finds out they are pregnant on April Fools Day? That is the plot line of a bad movie. Also, I had taken several pregnancy tests not two weeks earlier when I thought I was pregnant and they were all negative.
Then the Saturday before I took THE TEST, Jake and I worked in the backyard.all.day.long. I was exhausted. We went to one of our favorite restaurants for an early dinner and I definitely had two glasses of wine (Sorry, kid. I was taking my prenatal vitamins though:)). We came home and burned some of the sticks we had picked-up that day in our new fire pit. I went to sleep earlier than usual for a Saturday night, woke up with the strangest rash all over my stomach and just knew I was pregnant. I told Jake the next day before church and I panicked a little bit about my wine. (This was not my first rodeo on the pregnancy test circuit so I also had in the back of my mind that this was my imagination and the rash was from yard work). He of course, believed that I was the girl crying wolf. He tends to be skeptical about all feelings I have regarding my health, etc. ( I can be a hypochondriac).
That Sunday I napped, which I don't usually do, and then I had my very first pregnancy nose bleed. Monday I took the test and instead of telling my husband in some cutesy way, I just called him crying. He was out at lunch with a co-worker so his response was somewhat subdued by that bit of bad timing. When he came home he looked at the test and decided it was too faint and maybe I wasn't pregnant after all. Always thinking I'm crying wolf! After about two more weeks and $100 in pregnancy tests he decided that I might, in fact, be pregnant. When I started getting sick at week 5 his belief got a little stronger and by the time he saw the baby at week 6 on the first ultrasound, I am pretty sure he was committed to the idea.
From weeks 5 to 10, I don't remember particularly caring for being pregnant. I was sick morning, noon, evening, midnight, 4 a.m.-you name the time of day and I was either sick or feeling sick. I was prescribed Zofran for the day and Phenegran to help me get through the night. Things started easing up around week 10 and though I still get sick, it is now sporadically. I have tried weaning off the Zofran unsuccessfully and may try again in another two weeks. I have stopped taking the Phenegran, which is good.
Now for my stats:
How Far Along: 13 weeks, but I'll be 14 on Saturday!
Size of Baby: According to the internet, the size of a medium shrimp.
Weight Gain: Not documenting that. I will say that I stayed pretty much the same weight for the first 11 weeks. Now, not so much.
Gender: TBD
Movement: Not yet. I am ready for the movement so I know things are okay without having to go for ultrasounds/doctor's appointments.
Sleep: I wake up anywhere from once to twice a night. Usually, I go right back to sleep. I have had some CRAZY dreams. I'll try to document the next one.
What I miss: I miss sushi and I miss sweet tea. I also miss not feeling like I have to go to the bathroom 24/7. Wine/beer has been the easiest thing by far to do without. I don't even really miss it. Giving up caffeine has also been much easier than I thought, but the first few days on the ship were rough.
Cravings: Not really craving anything. I am eating a lot so that I don't feel ill. I get sick when I don't have anything on my stomach. I am not a big snacker, so trying to eat every 1-2 hours has been hard. I also am not craving healthy things, which is a little disappointing. In fact, fruits and veggies are the main things that make me sick to my stomach. That and sudden bad smells. I am more of a crackers, cheese, bagels snacker. I also love me some pasta and some potatoes. I am going to try to reincorporate healthier foods now that I am feeling a bit better.
Symptoms: There is the obvious. I have also been extremely, extremely tired. I have had some swelling in my feet so that almost all my shoes are a little uncomfortable to wear. However, that could just be because its hot outside and not because I am pregnant. I think its too early for that symptom. I also have acne like I have never had acne before. Literally, did not break out this much when I was in puberty.
Best Moment of the week: Only being sick one time on one day so far! Also, seeing that the second trimester is literally days away brings me a great deal of hope!
We go back to the doctor Monday. I don't think this next visit will have much to it. The Big Ultrasound visit will be at the end of July!
Next post will be a house update!
No comments:
Post a Comment