It is very hard to believe that I am 23 weeks. Very hard. Like I need to get stuff done, oh my gosh I have not read all of the books, I am panicking a little bit, hard. I'm taking it one day at a time. Also, I am trying not to go nuts on purchasing stuff because we are having multiple showers, so I keep telling myself I will get lots of stuff then and I need to cool it. Registering almost killed me because I wanted to buy everything I was putting on the list right then!
Lately I have been feeling pretty good. Peter is moving around a lot more and his kicks are getting stronger. I have had a little bit of cramping, but not much. This mainly happens when I overdo it around the house or walking Yazoo. I have been spending lots of lazy Saturday mornings in bed to try to rest and compensate!
Additionally, I have put on quite the poundage. I know I initially said I wasn't going to talk about my weight on the blog, but at my last doctor's appointment I was shocked! Total for the pregnancy weeks 1-19 I gained a grand total of seven pounds. From weeks 19-22 I gained a whopping sixteen pounds. My doctor tried to be nice about it, but pretty much told me to slow my roll. The thing is, I have not really eaten THAT much more. I have allowed lots more desert than usual, fried foods, etc. However, it still has not been that much more than I have eaten when not pregnant. At this rate, I am going to be rolling into the maternity ward, not walking.
As for going into the maternity ward, I figured I would document my good intentions of having a nice, calm birth while I wasn't in pain. I am not someone who has EVER thought I would have a natural birth. That has not changed. I would happily walk into the maternity ward, get hit in the head with a baseball bat, handed a glass of wine and the epidural stuck in my back at the admissions desk if I could. However, since that is not a feasible option I have set myself a few goals. First and foremost, I am going to do my very best not to be induced. I am going to try to let nature take its course and have this baby when he is ready to be born. However, I have also told my doctor that if the baby looks too big or if it is in his best interest, I will consider induction at one week past due. Second, I am going to try to labor until I am five cm dilated without the epidural. I am guessing this is the one where I might cave, but who knows I could surprise myself. I just don't want to get the epidural and slow things down too much. Finally, I want to try to labor for a while at home. I want to be able to eat and drink, take a shower to relax and move about while I am laboring. We live pretty close to the hospital where I am going to deliver, and very close to my doctor's back-up hospital, so I am going to try to remain calm and stay at home for as long as my psyche will allow.
Onto the stats...
How Far Along: 23 weeks
Size of Baby: He is over a pound now, about the size of a large mango, and I am measuring 24 weeks pregnant instead of 23.
Weight Gain: See above.
Gender: Boy! Peter James Malatesta.
Movement: He is a consistent little kicker now. He has moments of quietness throughout the day, and I get all nervous that he is not moving, then he goes on a thirty minute kicking spree straight into my bladder. Little boys...
Sleep: I am still waking up pretty early in the morning, like about 4:30. This morning I got a swift kick to the back that woke me up and I stayed up until it was time to go to work.
What I miss: Focus. I miss being able to focus at work or on anything more than an hour TV show.
Cravings: Not much this week. We ate Millie D's yogurt this weekend and it was like nectar from God!
Symptoms: Heartburn. Cramping. Leg cramps.
Best Moment of the week: Jake felt Peter move! We were in the car, coming home from dinner, and we had been talking about the baby. Jake asked me what Peter moving felt like and I told him it kind of felt like muscle twitches right now. I grabbed his hand just as Peter gave a big kick. His reaction was pretty priceless, he was like "Oh My God, there is something in there!"
No comments:
Post a Comment